The folks on our ambassador team come from all places and all walks of life, but one thing is for certain, none of them are as funny as Eeland Stribling.
We sat down with Eeland to ask him a few questions about fly fishing and his life around it. Read on to learn more about the 'Black Steve Irwin'.
1. How did you get introduced to the outdoors? Was there a particular moment when you realized 'This is the life for me!'?
It was probably when I was sitting down with my Gramps watching animal planet. I had an 'ah ha' moment when I realized that I was antisocial and enjoyed the quietness of the outdoors.
2. What is it about fishing that you enjoy so much?
Learning. Every time I fish I learn something new about fishing, the landscape, myself. There is always room to grow.
3. Is there a particular style of fishing that you prefer? What is it and why?
Style of fishing I prefer? Well, I'm not a fly purist. As long as you're out there having a dope time, enjoying yourself and respecting the resource then cast out there. I really want to try noodling, it looks like a lot of fun.
4. If you could visit any destination to fish, where would it be?
Permit, permit, permit. Barracuda too. And Bull trout. And Alaskan Fish on mice patterns. Arctic Char would be cool. Oh and Taimen. Haha
5. What are your dreams and goals when it comes to fishing? A grand slam? Catching a fish on a certain fly?
Dreams and goals? Normalize fishing in the black community. Make it cool, fun to fish, teach people to care about our waters, the land and the history of the people who used to thrive on them. Of course I want to catch a permit more than I want that stimulus check, but I also want to leave fishing and the earth better than I found it.
6. Do you ever eat what you catch? If so, what is your favorite way to prepare them?
Absolutely. I just had some trout last weekend. We smoked them with lemon, pepper, salt, sautéed garlic and onions. Also lionfish ceviche is the best fish I’ve ever had!
7. With many threats facing the outdoors, what worries you the most?
All of them. They are all related. Less forest and reefs, less carbon sinks, more global heat and abnormal weather disasters. I’m a part of the wildlife council here in Colorado to do my part as well.
8. If you could fish with any celebrity, alive or dead. Who would it be?
Oh. Dave Chappelle, Denzel Washington would be a tie for first. Steve Irwin or Bob Ross would be backups Steve and Bob are my top 3 favorite white people of all time.
9. What is your favorite piece of RepYourWater gear?
My socks. I wear them with a tux or a suit, fishing, wrestling matches with my little cousins and my dog, and even while playing footsies with the doctor trying to convince him to get me the vaccine.
10. Tell us a little more about yourself, where did you grow up, where do you live etc.
I was born and raised in Denver Colorado. I grew up in 5 points specifically. I still live in Denver. I went to CSU and got my degree in Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Biology. Took my 5 years and by the time I left, I hated school but still loved learning. I started comedy in college and have been lucky to perform across the country with some of the coolest funniest people on the earth. I don’t have any kids that I know about yet.